Monday, 28 March 2011

The rest of the weekend & Monday updates

So... Pip first - food wise he's been starving ever since being sick - eating every meal in full without hesitation, and starving for training rewards. Who knows with this puppy? One week starving, next week uninterested in anything!
Sat he was great at NADS - barely concerned by all the other dogs, and the barking and charging around. this was great as last week he was definately a bit spooked!
We queued for a while on a SC ring - he was interested in the dogs running at first, but soon got bored of that and much more interested in the food I had.
Then we did some start line waits in front of a practice jump by another ring (on lead as I'm not THAT trusting lol) and he was actually pretty focussed.
Walked around a bit and did some nice meet and greets - one sweet little girl dog who was very nervous was playing with him after a few mins - he really is a very gentle dog in his greetings. Greeting Deano was totally different - like "hey mate!!!" leap jump play lol

Also did 2 walks - early on with puppy line and Poppy - he was fab and just wanted to play with us and chase his toy. 2nd walk was longer and I left off the puppy line - again he was just ficussed on us and his toy despite running collies all over the place. Also made use of the busy road the other side of the fence line. started with rewarding waits, and soon realised he wasnt even vaguely interested in chasing the cars down the fence - playing with me and chasing poppy and his toy was far more interesting. So I'm hoping that fence running the van at Karen's the other day was just reaction and not a bad habit! I will remain vigilant though!

Sunday - took him up the fields off lead when we walked the hedge - not done that for a few months. Boy can he run! chased a bunny or two, but always flew back to me (though not catchable)and as I know its securely fenced I wasnt worried. Once engaged in a game with me he wasnt interested in running.

He's still not immediately recalling to my side, but he will come in for hand touches in the hope the reward will be his toy being thrown. He will also then lie down next to me. So whilst not a good recall it does mean I can always get him back, so not so worried about letting him off to run and he's needing to RUN more now.

Not doing so much concentrated training seems to make him much more focussed when I do - this morning he was leaping to do things. :)

Bonnie - wasn't impressed with gentle exercise yesterday or this morning, but kind of accepted it. Lying about then getting up she is no worse/no better.
She will be on home walks this week - if I take her out she'll just run about like mad - but she will pootle around home fields for ages and not get too excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment