Monday, 18 April 2011

Musings & good Puppy jumps :)

Didnt get time to update re thurs foundation...

firstly now logging on my written log so less details here but want to keep outline as I can read this anywhere!

So... tried working on the theory of giving him a bit more freedom and a bit more "down time" and a bit less structured training last week. I Took him out to the field in the morning and let him run, but he still had to do his waits etc. Field gate wait is getting quite awesome now. He will down wait without moving whilst I go and open the gate etc. no movement and awaits his release. I want to consolidate this this week, then next week I will test it more and see if I can release Poppy whilst he stays (she wanders off - bonnie will run which might be a step too far atm)

Once he has had a run and done his toilets I call him in for a nose touch and down and then either a retrieve (not very good in the field still ) but more likely I'll leave him and then recall him to me for a game of tug - this is going very well and he's really driving into me for his toy.

lunchtime will usually be some sort of training - or a walk if he is training later. I' m doing a bit more walking/letting him run as I want him a bit fitter.

So came to foundation and he was much more keen to work, than when he was having 5-6 small sessions a day. He played really well and did the play/circle trans well - right circle outside still is the weakest. and its harder to transition back to play without racing him to the toy, but we get there.

Waits were good too - sit wait/rear cross prep - need to be very clear WHEN he can turn his head... no anticipating.

Then we did restrained recalls - all good but he really hates being left held with someone else!

Following on from that we did a short jump grid. He just ran through it with bumps so made small jumps. Karen held him and he just cheated and ran round the edge to get to me. We went down to smaller number of jumps and he did it ok.

So... yesterday put a grid up in the field at home - my poly jumps go down really low - about half of the mini dog height - so did that height, started with 2, then 3 then 4 leaving him in stand wait, and he was just fab and flew the lot, repeated the 4 in the other direction and gave him LOTS of praise. Very pleased. I think when we do this at training it will work better if I just leave him in a wait and he doesn't stress about being restrained. One thing I did notice - he knocked the first jump one time - that time he didn't drive to his toy - he drove straight to me for hugs. Need to keep an eye on this as he is obviously really sensitive to either hitting them (and hurting?) or that he has done something wrong. If handled right it should make his jumping clean, but could easily put him off if asked for too hard too soon.

I wont do any more until thurs when he has another lesson, and we'll see what happens.

Recall was CRAP this weekend when faced with people, dogs, etc. However he does come if I walk away, and will come back once in a quieter area (and will leave the dogs he is playing with)

No comments:

Post a Comment