Thursday, 7 April 2011

Greg lesson 3

I got a totally different feeling from this lesson - much more positive and upbeat, although naturally I took exception to a few comments (not personal ones) LOL

I was very pleased with the squeak. Although his circle work could have been more focussed he was dealing with a lot of distraction - Greg's dogs in the garden, a semi circle of people and puppies, Bosley barking at him lol, so for him to play, then circle, and actually do some of it with good attention was IMHO a good step forward, but still with plenty to work on.

Greg commented on the fact that I throw the tow and race him to it to get him to play, and this is him "training me" for the chase game. Possibly that is the case, but also I find that in less pressured situations (like when we train at home, or tug out on walks, I dont ever do this - and he really wants the toy. So I think as long as I'm aware of it, and try to fade it as he becomes less distrcaated and more focussed I wont worry about it overly. At least I did get hime to play which is a huge step from the first Greg lesson where he just shut down and wouldnt play at all.

We discussed his lack of food drive. Naturally he then worked well for food afterwards! Hand feeding does work with him, and he has had occasions in the last couple of months when he has been bowl fed and eaten it all for a few days, but I refuse to starve him for days on end on a regular basis. I've tried it and I know he will just go a couple of days without food sometimes before eating again, but actually his drive for food is no more after not eating for a day or two than it normally is. So rather than worrying myself over it I think I just have to accept that like some people he just isnt too bothered about food. Maybe I'm expecting labrador food drive and just wont ever get that from Pip?

I asked about circle work with his toy. Greg said if he works better cos you are holding his toy that is just luring ... hmmm well YES it is, BUT so is using food. He KNOWS I have the food, just like he KNOWs I have his toy - so what difference if he still has to earn it? I will still do work with his toy now he isnt biting me - I dont want to stop that entirely, but will continue to use food for the main circle training.

Recalls - very pleased with these as usual. first two were running and he took his toy and played on both. Very good drive into me. Recall to stationary was also good and he took his toy, but then got diverted by a Rhyme :) - I did catch him again pretty quickly with a great rugby tackle! Tried to play again but he was totally distracted and went sniffing etc. Cant him again quite easily though.
Final time he played really well back to our seat.

Stand waits in the hall were fab - no movement and lots of distraction.

Hand touches were ok. He was tired by then though and kind of giving lip service to hand touch not really wanting it!

It was lovely to see how many of the puppies had really changed and improved over the month. Buzz and Bosley are really growing up and at that lovely attentive stage, though Bosley looks like he is starting to have some independant thoughts! Rhyme was so much more attentive and did some really good circle work. Much more focussed on Karen than last time I saw him work. Tuesday... hmm well rather Jo than me! Bit too much drive and spirit for me lol - bet she will be awesome one day though. Inca was great given the distractions out in the field, and boy cant Ruth RUN! Joose is soooooo cute :)

All in all I had a very good evening and have lots to work on again. I was really impressed with Pip in general. He did have one barky moment when Fiona went to her car and back, but otherwise took all the other dogs doing exciting stuff in his stride and just chilled stayed with me. It feels like he has gone through another sort of stage and started to grow up again recently. Sad to see some of the puppiness going, but good to see the dog appearing too.

Continue with all of the earlier stuff,
Add more distance and distraction to the stand wait.
Sit waits with moving behind (Rear cross training)
Document food more
I want to work more on the play - its good but needs to be great and in lots of locations
Also more on the hand touch - its great at home for toys, but needs to have that drive at other times too,

No comments:

Post a Comment