Friday, 18 February 2011

Wed 17th feb

was a bit slack - oops.

Pip - did some excellent tug first thing, then helped me feed birds and tortoises, then more really good tug. he loves it when I get down low with him and almost wrestle it like Karen did - he really tugs after that and growls too. I should then have done some cue work, or touch or crate or something - but I was tired and late so I just gave him his food in a bowl (first time out of a bowl for at least a week) and he wolfed it down - good puppy. So whilst I didnt stay true to earning his feed I did let him practice something he didnt previously do!

He then had about 20mins play in the garden with the dogs before crate whilst at work.

Tony let him out for a half hour midmorning

Lunchtime - lots more tug and then made his DO things with tug as a reward. again excellent tug - he is still letting go and rebiting to get a better grip though - not sure but think he might be teething again? Or at least sore as he did stop the rebiting thing?

He slept the afternoon whilst I took Pops and swam dogs. Missy is looking good - she has her cart now, but was pleased to see me as usual - she gets really excited when she hears my voice. She is soooo sweet.

Bonnie and Pops went out with Tony to the field first thing, then Bonnie was indoors rest of day - so took her to rounds in the evening.

Pip - foundation - really good start - chilled about going inside and setting up. took crate again to give him some timeouts. He was dead keen for his toy - so I et him play and made the most of Karen talking and using Torro Laker as a demo dog to do some distraction play stuff - he kept playing very well.
the stations were pretty good and I was delighted with his circle work - did inside as well as outside and inside was almost better than outside. He wouldnt play at the end though - just wanted food... I think there is a "too hungry" button for Pip - class started at 7.30 and as he didnt have tea pre training he hadnt eaten for 12 hours and he just wanted to EARN food not play with the toy!
Must remember to reward on turns and reward when running more often.
New appearance of a ball this week - he hopped straight up with his front feet even though it wobbled - this was very good as standing on moving things WAS a problem - wobble cushion obviously has helped here :)

start line waits were good - he stands stock still whilst I run out and take position, but he sometimes moves a foot when I'm almost back to him with his reward!
NOTE - make sure to release him to come to me every few waits - he really wants the release and I found yesterday that where I worked a lot on the wait and going back to reward that he got a bit fed up with standing still and attention started wandering. 2-3 waits and then one ok go works well. Did run outs, skip outs, walk outs, did ready, steady then return - hes very good at going on GO :)

Towards the end when we were going to do recalls he looked tired and I lost play (a sure sign hes tired) so I went to tell Karen I was taking him out, walking back he spotted the JR playing hard by the gate - cue woof woof woof - took him up the other end, drop lead and then recall him - worked a treat. brought him back down again - had to repeat twice then he settled again. Popped him in his crate whilst I picked stuff up and he settled. Didn't pee whilst out though :( although he also didnt bark at the horse in the field.

Bonnie - rounds - I thought she might not be up for it tonight as she trained Sun, tue, wed but actually she was very up for it, although she did get tired at the end. Her start line waits weren't fab - but she did have a Liz and Rosie behind her a fair bit and she did wait when I pushed the point - they are still rock steady at home so its just an anxiety thing.

When I handled her right she was fantastic... sadly I was out of position a few times, and then released her too soon and she choked on her contact reward oooppsss

Anyway - her weave entries were excellent - she got every one :) She did pop out the last weave a few times as she was looking for reward and pulled to me... practice this one and throw her reward out beyond the end of the weaves at home

She did manage to do some jumps out away from me when I remembered to keep my arm up and out....

Rear cross was fab too - odd how the last couple of days she just seems to have clicked on RX - I did some on the practice jumps and she just did it - straight off.. practice this at the weekend - mustnt lose it now!

Really pleased with the distance I can get from her now - in particular she did a seesaw a good 10ft from me so I could run a good line.

She also did some great waits whilst I walked courses - there was only Torro, Kimba, Truffle and Rosie there and she loves the first 3 and tolerates Rosie as she was in her group for ages. I still left her way away from Rosie but she waited all apart from the last time when she came to me.

I did find training two dogs hard work!! I loved it but I was knackered. Not sure if it will be easier or harder when Pip is training properly though... hopefully by then I will be able to relax a bit between goes, whereas puppy foundation is quite full on to make sure he doesnt bark or get scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment