I was really annoyed with myself on the day, having calmed down and thought about it there was a lot to like.
Firstly we queued for the SC and the jumping all by ourselves without too much drama, and only a little bit of barking.
Secondly, we had fantastic waits in every round. (SC judged actually complimented me on it as we left the ring)
Thirdly, his dogwalk and Aframe contacts were spot on and solid even though I ran on and tested him.
We had two sets of weaves, 6 in jumping and 12 in Agility. Jumping was 6 with 4 strides in and from a long run of jumps so I was behind and couldn't push him in - he missed it and went in 2nd pole. I stopped him and made sure I gave him lots of room and sent him again to perfect weaves. So that was ok. the 12 in the agility was from a tunnel and I was late with the front X so he missed the entry. He then flew them though.
Sc Q was first - so running it for real. It was a testing course, but I was confident he could do it. However it was a testing start. 3 jumps curving slightly left to a left curving tunnel, to a jump (with a tunnel straight ahead) but dog had to turn right to a circle of 3 jumps. So correct start was to lead out to the tunnel, release and then pivot to bring dog round on left hand. Other option was to rear cross the jump out of the tunnel - but most people who tried this failed as the tunnel ahead drew the dog. I opted for the lead out pivot. Unfortunately although Pip's wait was awesome (didnt see another dog with such a good wait in all the dogs I watched) it was just too far for him and when I released him he just wanted to get to me so went under first 2 jumps. then took 3rd and tunnel and did the jump circle fine and off into next tunnel. I was just too slow getting to position and he pulled off next jump. restrated and he came round, missed the trap of the tunnel and finished the rest with just 1 pole down. But it was all a bit frantic even though I didn't rush him. SO I leanred a lesson - that distance is just too far for him to feel confident at the moment. Proved this yesterday by setting the same start up at home with the same lead out and he did it just fine.
next was jumping. It was a lovely course with nothing which should have given us a problem other than the weave entry. A very generous time too. SO I decided after our last start to run the course and figured I would have time to do the weaves again if we had a problem. Anyway - jump jump tunnel so I wnet to tunnel entrance to release figuring this was close enough to reassure him, but far enough to allow me to get to the jump after tunnel. Obviously he was feeling more insecure than I had though as he again went under the first jump. He got the right turn out of the tunnel nicely and went round the rest of the course quite nicely although he was still rushing a bit and clipped a couple of poles. The final section was a long run of jumps up, then a twiddle round 3 jumps then 2 jumps down hill to weaves, I slowed to slow him but just couldnt get to the weave entry ahead of him, so he missed the first pole, but we restarted and he finished well.
Went and gave myself a bit of a talking to and came back to do agility. Jemma and Jane kindly helped me in the queue which meant that I could play with him and settle him and if he got barky I could just walk away. Started well - was jump Aframe, so I just went to beyond jump 1 halfway to Aframe and he was happy and jumped well. got his contact with no hesitation even though I ran on, then long jump and send ahead into tunnel which he did perfectly. LONG run across to pick him up for a jump then front x to 2 jumps and I was a little late getting into position on the front X, we managed it though and then the next two jumps to a sharp left to see saw. I was late with the decle and he overshot, but picked up the seesaw. ID'd a problem here. He has only been on a wooden see saw since last weekend and he flew up it clearly expecting the same - the ally one swung down far faster than a wooden and he kinda surfed off the end looking confused. I thought he would be upset, so hesitated but he went straight ahead to the tunnel. this made me late for the front X to the weave entry, and he again missed the first pole. I SHOULD have steadied, restarted etc, but actually decided to just let him keep going as he was weaving beautifully and I didnt want a repeat of last week when he got upset. Carried on to right turn off weaves to run of jumps round to DW. DW entry was ofset and horrid and he didnt pick it up at all so I steadied him and sent him on to a perfect contact and release to last 2 jumps.
With hindsight I should have broken down the agility into sections and rewarded more, but I got a bit carried away and wanted to run courses. I have now proved to myself (ok I knew it but sometimes you just have to prove it) that I need to be more focussed and organised about what I want to train in each round, and also be aware of how sensitive he is and how things can affect him. Not an excuse as he needs to learn to deal with it, but I should remember it anyway.
He is handling Fern being here very well. No obvious jealousy when I walk and handle her, which surprises me tbh. He just seems to like her, and she seems to like him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment