Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Saturday Easter UKA

The whole plan was to restore Pip's confidence and not go more than to the 2nd jump. To this end I also left Fern at home and made it all about Pip.

Rubbish weather - drove up through fog and rain. Slightly better at the venue with drizzle and some clear spells. Not cold though.

Not a lot of room to walk dogs but fortunately he is good with this and we had a nice warm up and toilet walk.

Jumping was first.
Another lead out pivot, or long run on wrong side with a tunnel rear cross which would make it hard to be in position. This time though the lead out pivot could be done between jump 1 & 2 and that meant I was on the right side to drive to the weaves. He waited well and started and jumped happily. So yippee. I was STILL a little late to the weave entry out of the tunnel so he took the 2nd pole. Restarted and he did it perfectly, and round to jump long jump jump right turn to tunnel. Now when I walked it here I misjudged the pull that tunnel would have and started turning before he was fully committed to the jump before so he pulled off the jump. played wwith him a bit and then restarted and he did jump tunnel flat tunnel perfectly. this is where I made my 2nd error of judgement by rear crossing the next jump before the tunnel, which put him into the wwrong end. I should have done a front cross between the tunnels. Anyway again played and restarted and he got it right, got the front cros out of it nicely, and finished the final jump line. Very good in the queue as he had a lovely girl dog to chat too!

Agility next. A lovely beginners course and nothing that he couldnt do so we ran it as a course with the aim of me getting the handling right and getting the weave entry. 1 jump to DW so just went beyond the wing and started him. Nice jump, but totally missed the DW! Only reason was that there was a tunnel under the far end of the DW but I have trained that at home? Anyway he was happy to do the DW once I pointed it out, and got a good contact. Ran on and then released him through a box, and front cross 2 jumps to weaves. I got the front cross a little late and then wasnt there to drive him into the weaves so had to traust him to get the entry, which he missed. Restarted and he got them fine so we played a bit at the end of the weaves. then restarted with jump jump tunnel (under the DW) to jump and another tunnel (LONG run) call off out the tunnel to AFrame was good and another nice contact. Release to jump then turn jump and seesaw and I purposely deceled a little as he went on and he stayed on and got the contact. released to jump and agin tunnel but this tim out to 2 jumps to hom where he ran on nicely. So pleased overall and again he didnt fuss in the queue and waited with Jemma whilst I walked SC.

SC qualifier. Now this had another long lead out to stand any chance of being in place for a tight turn to front cross on tunnel. But I duly resisted and only went to fence 2. He was a bit fidgety on the start line (probably due to nasty child prodding him when dog in front went, thoroughly upsetting him and having to be told to go away!) Anyway he waited and started without panicing. But I just couldnt get to the front cross into the tunnel so had to rear cross it, which left me out of position for his exit and left turn jump and left into parallel tunnel. Well he just did it perfectly with my shout of left he came out took the jump and took the tunnel. Then it was jump and long run round the side to another tunnel, pull off jump jump, another front cross (didnt get there and had to call him off the tunnel. then jump jump tunnel and jump jump and 4 jumps to home which he did beautifully. So E'd but lots to like and a happy puppy.

So pleased with him I forgot to wait for the 2nd SC and went home!
Also did all 3 queues on his collar only (had head collar for safety but didnt use it. :) played in queue and before his go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment