Pip was a good boy when working. Focussed and ignored anything else going on. when he wasnt working he was quite easily excited by the other dogs and handlers running and squeeling. This is both good and bad. Good that he can focus when asked to work, but bad as I dont want a spinning collie on a rope when waiting!.
Also learned that he needs more end contact work on the dog walk. He was great on the low height DW - hitting his 2020 95% of the time. Last nigth was only his 2nd time at full height and both times he came off (lovely though if it was a running contact I wanted....). Possibly this is just to do with change in height and the effort he needs to back shift his weight, but I plan to train the end contacts a lot more in the next few days.
His Start line weight were good again but I have noticed at home that he is thinking about it, so need to concentrate a lot more on returning and rewarding the waits again. they are good so I dont want to lose them.
My handling has got a bit sloppy with the Bonnie dog - she was really keen last night but I fluffed a couple of things - like the pull through and the weave entry - just by being inaccurate. Partly I think its because she needs more help than Pip and I have been training Pip more than her. He is much happier to stay out on my arm, work when I'm still, and work ahead, and I was forgetting this.
Working two dogs in one session is hard - adjusting between the two dogs needs a lot of thinking about the handling as they both need different things.
Oh and Pip - he understands choice when its a lid in my hand - but when the lid goes on the floor he doesnt get it. Need to play with this next week.

No comments:
Post a Comment