Monday, 28 November 2011

Last few days with Pip and retrieves

ok - so in aid of not disgracing ourselves at our next lesson.... we have been looking at retrieves. I have always struggled with this as it is just too easy for him to run round with his toy.

SO analysis first.

Retrieve in the house is nearly 100% - he almost always brings toy straight back to me, and to my hand rather than the floor.

Take this outside - in the stable - probably 90% - on analysing it though the 10% is never the 1st, 2nd or 3rd retrieve and I think is when he gets a little tired or winded and he lies with it.

In the field with a ball and chucker - 80-90% - again the 10-20% is when he lies down with it for a rest

In the arena when training. 50-70% - He will run off with toy and chase around (ie. leave work), or he will lie down(tired?)

So this week since our lesson I have worked on not staring at him when he brings toy back, and making a big deal of yes, good boy when he does , so bringing it back is seen as a very good thing. If its a tuggy toy I'll play with him IF hes in a tuggy mood.

Last 2 days I have trained him with tuggy toy and then after we finish I have played with him around the equipment doing retrieves with the tuggy. It IS improving. This morning we got 6 out of 8 straight back to me. The 2 he came half way and put it down for me to go get, so didnt run off. I ignored these and moved some equipment and he picked it up and brought it to me.

Will continue like this for a bit, and wont try it with a ball or something I cant tug with for a while yet.

In other news... weaves are still looking better. He can concentrate to about 8 then loses it a bit sometimes. Need to sort some guide wires!

No comments:

Post a Comment