Deep breath... Got to lesson 15mins early as I had actually allowed a lot of extra time to get fuel. Bonnie was a star considering she had never trained at FFD's before. So the inaugural PAWS (forgotton what it means already lol) session was a hit. She was energetic and responsive and I loved handling her like that - I wish I could work out why I only get that 1 session out of 5! I cant think of anything I did differently? Anyway we worked on the ABC qualifier course I think it was - anyway a G7 course - and it was fun to be so challenged. Bon handled all of its questions and I could work on the handling and making sure I was in the right place (which I often wasnt!) We only had Jill and Charlie in the class so no strange dogs to contend with - though when she noticed Torro Laker lying on the table she was a bit "Whoa - where did he come from!"
Then got Pip out and did a bit of attention work in the car park, followed by some tug which was good for him. I then had to wait from 6pm to 7.30 for his lesson. And it was lovely! I had a cup of coffee and the sarnie I bought earlier watching the sun shining on the fields and hills. I never have a whole hour to do nothing in without the feeling that I should be doing something. It was very peaceful with just me and the dogs :)
Pip trained in puppy class with Inca and Rhyme. I was very pleased with the majority. his recalls were good - I used food instead of toy as an experiment (and he was hungry) and it worked ok. He drove into my side for it. The work on not springing on me has definately helped (although not totally cured) his springyness. 2 running and 2 stationary and he wanted to come to me NOT piss off. I think part of the coming then running off might have been due to the fact than when he recalled to me I was then putting pressure on to play and he didnt feel comfortable with that. ??
Did stations and worked on shaping hind legs today - got some good moments but still doesnt REALLy get the idea he can use back end. He hadn't done the hoop for 2 weeks and went straight through :)
Waits were good - left the last one a bit too long though and he moved a paw and sniffed. Must make them shorter for now. Definately changing the waiting at the field gate to a "you can go through without waiting as long as you come straight back for a hand touch " has worked here and we more or less have our old very good waits back. :) We can readdress the gate wait later on. Waits everywhere else are more important atm.
nose touch and target were good - but still want more drive on contact end. Not noticed the foot splaying again - so will not worry about that for now.
Circle work. was very good with good position and focus (using tennis ball not tug and rewarding with food) went a bit wide a couple of times but can back to a hand touch. Rewarding the end with a ball throw was not such a great idea as he then decided that if he brought it back I might end the game and ran off with it. Eventually after leaving the field and returning he decided to come to me and be recaptured! I think next time I'll wait until he is back on the lead to reward with the ball!

No comments:
Post a Comment