Thursday, 7 July 2011

Poppy

Referral through for RVC on Monday - Steven De Decker is the resident - not sure on the consultant yet. Steven is LUSH (too young but LUSH lol)

She is much the same - wobbly and doesnt really know where her back end is - but she is coping fine with it.

She is worse when she is tired - like MS - but rest of time she is amazing! She is very lively at the moment!

Swimming her alone today as Pip was thought to be too soon post op - in fact it would be fine but she deserves the attention IMHO.

It does bother me that she has to sit around in the van for 4 hours after swimming - that seems to be bad for her :( will see about her going into a paddock in future weeks I think - depending upon what happens Monday.

Have decided to go for the MRI regardless as I want to know what is happening and what the prognosis is. If they offer a surgical resolution then it has to meet the following criteria...

  1. Have a reasonable chance of success
  2. Have a reasonable chance of dramatic improvement to her life quality
  3. Post op rest/care/immobility has to be reasonable compared to the improvement in her life quality/quantity afterwards
  4. Not adversely affect her life expectancy
I can only see surgery being an option if there is a disk extrusion which is causing the spinal cord to be compressed.

She is such a special loving dog - I really don't want her hospitalised for long as she just hates it!

If we go for surgery (which I will need to be convinced on) then I want to know the details of the post op care. I want to have her hospitalised for the shortest time, and know what rehab I will need to do at home as may have to plan work accordingly.


No comments:

Post a Comment