Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Big boy :)

SO pleased with my boy last night :) He is just so good - wish I was better! Jump training this week so 1st real week in our new group, initially 5 of us so divided into 2 x 2's and me! Which is fine. Then Tim arrived with Q so joined me (no pressure then lol) It was fine - Pip definitely held his own. Started on a 2 jump exercise. Wait, jump jump reward, then jump jump pull through reward, then jump jump pull through jump. All was good and he was having fun.

Moved onto Karens exercise with 4 jumps practising lead outs. so jump jump with me way over to left, perfect. Then jump jump with me out left beyond a jump wing, front cross and jump - again perfect. For the 2nd part of this Karen made a point of saying "I'm moving on quite fast as they are doing the exercise, but dont worry if this is a step too far for Pip. It wasn't though :)

Moved on to the jump grid. Some nice waits whilst I went to the far end and good drive through the grid.

Back to the first exercise and worked on rear crosses. Tim pointed out I was too far up and then cutting across the back of him which is why Pip got a pole down - so practised hanging back and then pushing the diagonal and boy did that work - lovely jumping and nice tight turn. Takes a bit for my mechanics to be right though.

Back to Karen again - this time push rounds. so jump jump push round jump jump. first time my position was crap and not far enough up, but the wee man did it anyway bless him. 2nd time I got it right and so did he.

BArking and bating at other dogs. Have a couple of strategies... Karen thinks I should let him off lead and not worry if he runs after other dogs - just call him back. He is better with this, but a) it upsets other people, and b) I dont want him to think chasing other dogs is what he should be doing.
Other is to put him in a down with a short lead and let him get on with it, and then prasie when quiet. That is horrid to do, but does work.

I also used the lid and had him focus on nose touching which helped and LOTS of praise for not barking.

Its all because he wants to play and doesnt want to wait. As soon as I let him off and put him in position he is totally fosussed on me bless him.

So much fun and just love training with him :)

No comments:

Post a Comment