Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Musings on dogs and people

I'm rather sad tonight... it seems that a fair few of the folks I know hold violently different views to me on how to treat and train their dogs.

The e-collar ban in Wales has caused a lot of debate today amongst my horsey and doggy friends... I dont quite know how I can continue to call some people "friends" when they hold such different views to me. There are a few folks who are openly stating they think e-collars have a definate place in training their dogs, and this leads on to the "pro Ceasar Milan" lobby shouting his praises.

IMHO CM has done more to put back dog training than anything in the last 20 years. The most ironic thing is that the man isnt stupid and has realised that his "dominance" methods are not the be all and end all and he is now studying current theories etc and modifying his techniques. But people just see the ALpha roll and dominance and think this will work. They point to his robot dogs with no personality - mostly emotionally shut down and scared to respond.

It just all makes me really sad for dogs. I wonder how many people would use an e-collar to "train" their 2 year old not to touch the stove, throw toys etc... they wouldnt - they would remove child from the situation and otherwise entertain it.

I dont know how I can be friends with or trust people with these views... I certainly dont want them near my dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment