Monday, 18 February 2013
Malmesbury DTS show 17/2/13
Well I was right - Pip had pulled back muscles which is why he was hitting so much and not weaving at the club match. After two trips to see Angela he was jumping out of his skin so off we trotted on a foggy freezing morning to Wootton Bassett on Sunday morning.
I had entered as a training exercise, but when I got there it seemed you could go NFC but not take a toy in so not a lot of point training if I couldnt reward! So asked judge if she minded me correcting him if he broke his wait - she said fine.
Agility G1-3 - held his wait nicely. Had decided to hold all three contacts to a count of three and just practice handling DETERMINDLY. started well, held his DW got lots of good boy's, then 3 jumps with a front cross to a straight tunnel. This was the first bit of potential problem but I got the timing well, didnt rush and it was perfect. Now straight tunnel jump tunnel - could be tricky as he has been coming out looking at me, but today he just rocketed out and over jump. Took the next tunnel and gave him a call as he came out to turn him to fence, then A frame. Again 3 sec hold. release front cross to a jump then tight turn, jump, to see saw. 3 sec hold release to jump, pull off jump and 2 jumps to home. A lovely clear round with us both working together. :) I didnt expect to place as we wasted 9 secs on the contacts, but he actually came 5th, only 4 secs! behind the winner. So a nice pink rosette.
Jumping was next - again G1-3. When I saw the course I realised this would present some challenges as it was 5 jumps in a row off the start down the entire length of the arena with a sharp right turn into 2 more jumps with a pull off the 3rd jump which was just 4 strides away. Then into a tunnel, round to a 2nd tunnel (on a circle) back to 1st tunnel, then I put in a front cross before the jump. First 5 were fine, I called the right turn perfectly and he got it but I called the pull off llate and although he took the tunnel not jump he hit the fence before. The tunnel bit was fine but I realised with hindsight that a blind cross on the tunnel would have been better as I struggled to get there in time for the FX and got in his way as he came out - so he couldnt see the fence he had to jump and knocked it. Next fence was fine, wing wrap and back over jump and into tunnel. this was a hard bit as I had to run dow the back of the tunnel and just couldnt get there. So made a big fuss of him as he cam out of the tunnel and then went to the final line jump weaves jump. Another wait opportunity which went well, but he came out pole 10 of the weaves so went back and flew them perfectly to the final jump. So Annoyed with myself for being late a few times, but pleased with the bits that were good!
Wasnt sure about staying for G1-7 SC - Pip had rolled in a LOT of fox poo, I was a bit disheartened about the jumping, and was also tired (silly virus!) but when the course went up it was lovely so got him out straight away and gave it a go. This time our wait was only JUST acceptable, and I didnt handle fence 3 very well and he ran past. We restarted but I was then in the wrong position to take him from tunnel to next jump. Deep breathe, restarted and we did the rest of the course flawlessly to finish on a very good note.
All in all very pleased with us both!
So - happy he is well, and enjoying himself. More work to do on me focussing, on being straight on contacts (not leaning towards me) and on our start line, but lots of time for that at some training shows in next couple of months.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment